Homes for Sale in Fuquay-Varina, NC
The hyphenated name, Fuquay-Varina attests to the town’s history as two separate towns.
The Story of Fuquay-Varina
Fuquay-Varina, first known as “Piney Woods,” acquired her unusual names from the fates of history. Among the early land grant families were the Burts, Joneses and Rowlands, but it was a French veteran of the Revolutionary War named William Fuquay who moved his family to the exact site, purchasing 1000 acres of Jones Land in 1805.
While plowing a field, circa 1858, William’s son Stephen uncovered a mineral spring. “Taking the waters” became an attraction for people with all types of physical ailments, leading to the annual celebrations at the spring on Easter Monday and the Fourth of July. Conveniently, the early timber rail provided a ready means of transportation while hotels, catering to long term visitors, surrounded the spring.
During the “War for Southern Independence,” a young soldier named Ballentine, born just south of the spring, received morale-boosting letters signed with the pen name “Varina.” He later looked up the Fayetteville lady, married her and brought her to live at his homeplace. Continuing to call her Varina, he named his post office and mercantile establishment across from the mineral spring for her. When two timber rail lines crossed nearby, “Varina Station” was born.
Fuquay Springs, incorporated in 1909, joined the neighboring community of Varina in 1963 as one municipality. Since that time, Fuquay-Varina has become one of the fastest growing small towns in North Carolina. The town with the hyphenated name and two historic districts has been able to successfully retain its small town charm while successfully adding modern amenities and rewarding business opportunities that have attracted residents from all over the United States.
Fuquay-Varina is thriving. The community that once was built on tobacco and farming is now the fastest growing town in the State of North Carolina. The population is expected to approach 35,000 by the year 2020. Fuquay-Varina’s rich history provides roots that grow deep and wide, yet her branches welcome newcomers from all corners of the globe. Proximity to employment centers, a rich quality of life and a small town atmosphere with plenty of amenities continues to draw people to this town.
- Stroll either one of Fuquay-Varina’s downtown districts, with restaurants, local shops, art galleries, consignment shops and more.
- Explore Fuquay-Varina’s growing arts scene with Art After Dark, Celebration of Arts in June or En Plein Air Paint-off in Apr., all local favorites and highlights of the year.
- During the warm months, watch a blockbuster hit at Movies in the Park in Falcon Park or catch Movies Under the Stars. The evening events make for great dates!
- The town has no shortage of delicious craft beer. Take a tour at Aviator Brewing Company , Draft Line Brewing Co. or Lincoln Brewing Co.
- Take part in the celebrations during annual events including Celebrate Fuquay-Varina in June, the town’s Independence Day Celebration, Downtown Bounty Festival in the fall and the community Easter Egg Hunt.
Fuquay-Varina Real Estate
With the completion of the southern half of I-540 scheduled to be completed over the next several years, Fuquay-Varina will have even easier access to other points of the Triangle and will continue to not only grow, but see an increase in property values. The current median price for homes is $270
For more information, contact your real estate professional Ernie Behrle with BuySmart Realty.
Your Right To Privacy
Please note, I understand the importance of protecting your contact information. I will never share or sell your private contact information with a third party. By providing me with your phone number and email address, you are giving me permission to contact you via email or phone.